OK, so 13,000+ citizens may not get you in the top tier of bustling metropolitans. But…if a city’s might and mojo were based on Bourbon however, well, Bardstown, Kentucky, would be NYC + LA combined.
The exceedingly charming and quaint town is a superpower of Bourbon production, being within 16 miles of 11 distilleries. Many of those whiskey makers being the big fish of the industry. Goes without saying, Bardstown is The Bourbon Town. And they’re proud of it, rightfully so. They have put together something quite special that embodies the special bonds between the town, its economic powerhouse, and the mutual respect between the distilleries themselves.
“The heart of bourbon lives in Bardstown, Kentucky, and the Bardstown Collection is the perfect way to tell the story of the legends, the bourbon pioneers, the modern-day innovators, and the town that truly bonds them together.” said Samantha Brady, Executive Director of Bardstown Tourism.
Six Distilleries. Six Unique Expressions. One Collection.
This header is the perfect mantra for the 2023 Bardstown Collection (BC), it being the second year for this special collaboration of distillery releases. Here’s the breakdown.
6 distilleries are participating. Each distillery has selected 3 unique barrels for its respective BC offering. Some have created a blend of all 3, some have gone the single barrel route making each barrel its own expression.
Their bourbon will then be bottled in custom packaging under the cohesive brand name “Bardstown Collection” displaying their own distillery’s secondary label signifying the six different editions of the collection. Every bottle is then housed in a custom box that celebrates the community and history of Bardstown.
The shared bottle design features iconic images from Bardstown, such as the historic My Old Kentucky Home. Gold-embossed blue boxes with ornate design and includes a colorful booklet that highlights distillery experiences, history, and the unique diversity of each participating distillery.
Release Dates: April 13- 14 (Distilleries Only)
The Bardstown Collection will be formally released Thursday, April 13, and Friday, April 14, with 6 staggered releases from all participating distilleries spread across two days – 3 distilleries a day. Each distillery has their own limited quantities of bottles, and not everyone is guaranteed an entire set.
Release Schedule is as follows:
Thursday, April 13th
9am – Heaven Hill Distillery
12pm – Log Still Distillery
3pm – James B. Beam
Friday, April 14th
9am – Lux Row Distillers
12pm – Bardstown Bourbon Company
3pm – Preservation Distillery
The 2023 Bardstown Collection distilleries include:
• Bardstown Bourbon Company: Beautifully situated on 100 acres of working farmland, Bardstown Bourbon Company, opened in 2016, offering a Napa-style experience in the heart of bourbon country.
• Heaven Hill Distillery: As America’s largest independent and family-owned producer of distilled spirits, Heaven Hill’s massive inventory exceeds 1.5 million barrels.
• James B. Beam Distilling Co. (Jim Beam): The James B. Beam Distilling Co. celebrates more than two centuries of bourbon legacy from the First Family of Bourbon. Producers of Jim Beam, the world’s No. 1 selling bourbon to innovations from their new Fred B. Noe Distillery, they bring family heritage and the future of American whiskey together.
• Log Still Distillery: Log Still Distillery boasts a 300+ acre, family-owned campus, where you can enjoy Monk’s Road premium Bourbons and Gins in the Tasting Room or book a tour of the recently opened state-of-the-art distillery. • Lux Row Distillers: One of the newest destinations on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, Lux Row Distillers is situated on a 90-acre campus, minutes from the center of Bardstown, and offers a behind-the-scenes look at the bourbon-making process in its recently expanded distillery.
• Preservation Distillery + Farm: A hidden Bardstown treasure, Preservation Distillery is the first and only 100% pot-distilled producer in Nelson County, creating hand selected, rare barrels of intensely flavored whiskey.
*Pre-Release VIP EVENT (April 12th)*
There will be a tasting event Wednesday, April 12th at Bardstown’s Scout and Scholar Brewery, starting 6:30pm ET. $150 per ticket.
FOR TICKET INFO: CLICK HERE
- Scout and Scholar Brewery in the heart of downtown Bardstown, 6:30pm ET Kick Off
- Live tastings of each release with the Master Distillers
- Delicious appetizers and hors d’oeuvre provided by Scout & Scholar
- Live Music
- Each ticket includes a drink bracelet which allows you (2) pours from each distillery.
- NO BOTTLES SOLD AT THIS EVENT
Additional Release Opportunities
Adding a twist this year, there will be 4 more additional opportunities to buy the set throughout the coming months.
Powered by Mint Julep Transportation, consumers will be given the opportunity to purchase tickets for once a month continuing throughout April-July. With these tickets, you gain access to a one-of-a-kind Bardstown Collection experience. The tickets include a 2-day experience in the Bourbon Capital of the World, traveling through all 6 distilleries involved in the collection. Each distillery has created an exclusive, immersive experience to tell the story of Bardstown through the liquid. Every stop includes a tasting of the 2023 iconic Bardstown Collection and the only opportunity to buy the full set after initial release.
Link to buy Mint Julep Tickets – https://mintjuleptours.com/louisville/bardstown-collection-multi-day-bourbon-experience/
The dates of the Mint Julep x Bardstown Collection Experiences will be offered the following:
- Thursday, April 27th & Friday, April 28th
- Thursday, May 18th & Friday, May 19th
- Thursday, June 29th & Friday, June 30th
- Thursday, July 27th and Friday, July 28th
Why rush home?! Soak in all of Bourbon Country and make a trip out of it. You’ll want to check out newly opened Bardstown Motor Lodge. Great location. Super cool vibe. An amazing restaurant – Toogie’s Table. Outdoor pool with bar service.
DANT CROSSING (LOG STILL DISTILLERY)
Another one-of-a-kind experience – the B&B rooms at Log Still Distillery in nearby New Haven. 10 minutes outside of Bardstown. Lakeside views. An amphitheater on campus. Gorgeously revitalized, was the former distillery of the iconic J.W. Dant Family. How often do you get the chance to stay on hallowed Bourbon ground?
Master Distiller Quotes
“A collaboration like this is unheard of in the bourbon industry,” said Conor O’Driscoll, Master Distiller at Heaven Hill Distillery. “We are so pleased to be a part of the collaboration and camaraderie between so many Bardstown distilleries.”
“We couldn’t be more excited to join Bardstown Collection Bourbon for a second year in a row. This year, our limited-edition features Bourbons from 10, 11 & 12 millionth milestone barrels filled at James B. Beam Distilling Co., that have been left untouched for years until we found an opportunity worthy of using them. The result is a well-balanced and intricate bourbon. The Bardstown Collection is more than a delicious bourbon; it’s a celebration of the town’s history and camaraderie. It’s this fellowship of the folks living in Bardstown that kept Bourbon alive during the toughest times. They helped solve problems for the industry and assisted the community. It’s been such a strong part of my own family’s history and such a robust component of bourbon’s history – we’re excited to celebrate with this new release!” – Freddie Noe, 8th Generation Master Distillery of James B. Beam Distillery.
“Lux Row is proud to be the newest member of the Bardstown Bourbon Collection. For our first year, we are offering three single barrels, which are over six years old and bottled at 129 proof. These barrels feature our low rye bourbon recipe, my favorite recipe here at Lux Row. Since we’re not blending these single barrels, you can expect different flavor notes from each, but in general, our low rye recipe plays to the sweetness of the corn, so expect some vanilla and caramel notes, with a slight spice and a little dry fruit on the finish. Lux Row has been an active member of this community for several years now, and entering the collection lays claim to our roots here in the Bourbon Capital of the World.” Said John Rempke, Master Distiller at Lux Row Distillers.
“This collaboration is a representation of the incredible bourbon that Bardstown is built on,” said Lynne Dant, Chief Operating Officer and Distiller of Log Still Distillery. “We are honored to join the Bardstown Collection in creating a one-of-a-kind bourbon that directly impacts our community and raises the standard of the industry.”
The Palatella Family, owners of Preservation Distillery added, “Our family has loved being a part of the Kentucky Bourbon community for many decades. We’re part of the community. We’re honored to join our fellow bourbon distillers in Bardstown as we come together for an incredible cause — and great bourbon.”