Photo and Recipe found here at bourbonbarrelfoods.com
A delicious twist on the classic pan caramel sauce. This quick and easy caramel sauce has a hint of smoky, salty Bourbon Smoked Bluegrass Soy Sauce and it is the perfect flavor balance! Serve with vanilla ice cream and top with a handful of crushed Bourbon Smoked Spice Pecans or a pinch of Bourbon Smoked Sea Salt!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 7 tbsp butter cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp Bourbon Smoked Soy Sauce
- Place a medium saucepan pan over medium heat and add the sugar. (This is best done in a light-colored pan so you can easily see the color change)
- Once the sugar starts melting around the edges, gently bring the melted sugar to the middle of the pan with a wooden spoon or heatproof silicone spatula. Avoid over stirring, as the sugar may begin to clump. If this happens, just let the clumps melt slowly.
- Once all the sugar has melted, stir and cook until it turns a dark, copper color.
- Add the butter and mix well.
- When combined, remove from heat. Carefully pour the cream into the pan and whisk well to combine.
- Cool caramel for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the smoked soy, starting with 1 tablespoon at a time. Taste and add more soy to your taste. We recommend the full 2 tablespoons for that sweet and salty contrast. Great with vanilla ice cream or any favorite dessert.