Recipe and Photos found here at www.urbanbakes.com
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 12-16 doughnuts
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
¼ Kosher salt
1/2 pound thick cut sliced bacon
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
¼ cup sour cream
1 large egg
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
2-3 tablespoons Bourbon
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lay a sheet of aluminum foil over a large jelly roll pan. Place a wire rack on top; set aside. Note: Be sure to use a pan that is ½ to 1-inch deep to catch the bacon drippings.
2. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, syrup and Kosher salt until sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Dip each slice of bacon into the syrup mixture; run your index finger and thumb down over the sliced bacon to remove excess.
4. Lay each coated slice on the wire rack and bake for 20 minutes or until desired crispness is achieved. Set candied bacon aside to prepare doughnuts.
1. In a small bowl, melt chocolate chips in microwave set on HIGH for 30 seconds, stir. Reheat for an additional 15 seconds or until about 75% of chips have melted, stir until all chips have melted; set aside to cool.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a doughnut baking pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low to medium speed, mix milk, sour cream, egg, butter, vinegar and vanilla until just combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and continue mixing until batter is just combined.
4. Using a rubber spatula, fold in cooled melted chocolate until there are no visible streaks in the batter. Spoon batter into each doughnut cavity about one-half to two-thirds full.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Allow doughnuts to rest in pan for 5 minutes before inverting doughnuts over onto a cloth or wire rack for additional cooling. Repeat baking process until the entire doughnut batter is used. Allow doughnuts to cool completely before glazing.
1. In a deep bowl, mix confectioner’s sugar, syrup and 2 tablespoons of bourbon until no visible dry pockets remain. Add another tablespoon of Bourbon if glaze is too thick or if a stronger taste is desired.
1. Dip each doughnut about halfway deep into the glaze or pour glaze over the doughnuts. Shake excess glaze off and rest doughnuts glaze-side-up over a wire rack.
2. Insert 2 pieces of candied bacon onto each doughnut.