It’s football season here in the Bluegrass, and nothing says football like tailgating with your favorite foods and Bourbon. These Kickin’ Bourbon Chicken Wings are the perfect blend of spicy and savory, with just the right amount Bourbon!
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
20 chicken wings
oil for deep frying
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup Bluegrass Red hot sauce
¼ cup Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Bourbon Barrel smoked salt
1. Preheat oil to 325°F
2. French cut the chicken wings by cutting around the lowest and thinnest part of the drumstick. Using a new, clean, box cutter is truly the best knife for the job. With your hands, free the chicken meat from the bone and crunch the meat and skin to the top, or thicker, part of the drumstick.
3. Mix paprika, salt, and flour in a large bowl.
4. Add chicken wings and toss in mixture until covered.
5. Let the wings sit in the mixture for about 5 minutes, tossing occasionally.
6. To make sauce mix butter, Bluegrass Red hot sauce, and Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon in a large bowl and set aside.
7. To make seasoning mix, mix black pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar, and Bourbon Barrel smoked salt and set aside.
8. Remove wings from flour, shake off excess and place in oil to cook for about 10 minutes.
9. Remove wings from oil and allow to drain.
10. Place cooked wings in sauce and toss.
11. Remove the wings and place on serving tray.
12. Sprinkle wings with seasoning mix and drizzle plate with remaining sauce.